My mom makes the best Sheer Khorma says every freaking Hyderabadi, but, people lie. I’m not going to lie to you, rather, I promise you my mom seriously makes the best Hyderabadi Sheer khorma.
The secret is: the portion of milk & sewiyan!!! A lot of people add very little quantity of seviyan with too much of milk which takes like nothing but sweet milk garished with seviyan. Think of it like Mutton without Mutton biryani. Similarly, a lot of people add condensed milk or Khoya & excessive dry fruits. We personally do not prefer adding any of this, however, we generally garnish the serving bowl with dry fruits.
Ok so, here is the recipe !! 🙂
Step 1: Preparing dry fruits.
- Take handful of cashews, dates, pistachios (separately, of course) & finely chop them
- In a separate bowl, take handful of almonds, soak them for about an hour or boil them for 10 minutes.
- Peel the almonds & chop into thin slices.
- Take 4 table spoon add ghee, add dry fruits, mix well & let it cook until they turn light brown.
- Remove the dry fruits from the pan & set aside.
Step 2: Preparing the seviyan:
- Take superfine/ thin vermicelli aka Seviyan & crush it into small pieces.
- In the leftover ghee from step 1, add approx 50-60 grams of seviyan (4-5 handful)
- Mix well until the seviyan turns brown in color.
- Remove them from the pan & keep it aside.
- Take 2 litres of milk (please get whole milk, no fat free business here)
- Boil it until it reduces its quantity to 3/4th (keep stirring)
- add 1 tea cup of sugar (approx 110 – 120 grams) & mix well, let it cook for sometime
- add Seviyan from step 2 here
- mix well & let it cook on high flame for 2 minutes & low flame for about 5 minutes.
- Your thick sheer khorma is ready, add it to the big serving bowl & garnish with dry fruits.
P.S. if you think the consistency is too thick for you, you can add some milk later, no worries!
We generally shop for seviyan from local store, its hand made & also super thin. Please do not use thick vermicelli or noodles!!!! It’s just horribly wrong.
I was able to find something for you on amazon similar to what I use.
Seviyan link for your reference: here
I hope you enjoy our recipe ! Please let us know your thoughts via comments below!!!